- The benefits of starting or continuing isotretinoin must outweigh the risks while considering the uncertainty of reliable follow-up visits and the lack of laboratory testing and imaging studies.2,3
- If it is not possible to have medically supervised pregnancy tests every month, pregnancy tests can be done at home and then communicated to prescriber with the date. 2,3
- Because isotretinoin causes a breakdown of the mucosal surface, it could theoretically increase risk of COVID-19 viral load. 1,3
This data come from 3 sources. The American Academy of Dermatology, the British Association of Dermatologists and Abdelmaksoud A. et al. provided recommendations on the use of isotretinoin during the pandemic.
- Abdelmaksoud A., Vestita M., El-Amawy H. S., et al. (May 1, 2020). Systemic Isotretinoin Therapy In The Era Of COVID19. Dermatol Ther. https://doi.org/10.1111/dth.13482
- American Academy of Dermatology. HOW TO CARE FOR IPLEDGE PATIENTS DURING THE PANDEMIC. Retrieved from: https://www.aad.org/member/practice/coronavirus/clinical-guidance/ipledge-isotretinoin
- British Association of Dermatologists (March 26, 2020). GUIDANCE FOR MANAGING PATIENTS ON ISOTRETINOIN DURING THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC. Retrieved from: https://www.bad.org.uk/shared/get-file.ashx?itemtype=document&id=6661.