- Lymphopenia is frequent1,2 and severe lymphopenia may be useful to identify patients that will need ICU care1,2,3.
- Patients requiring ICU tend to have higher LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and higher ANC (absolute neutrophil count)1,2,3.
- Thrombocytopenia is frequent2,3, but does not seem to correlate the need of ICU care.1,2,3.
- Hemoglobin, monocyte, prothrombin time, activated partial thromboplastin time do not seem to correlate the need of ICU care3. D-dimer seems to correlate with a worse outcome2.
This data comes from 3 studies. Fan B., et al. (AJH) did a retrospective analysis of 69 patients infected with COVID-19 and treated at NCID (National Centre for Infectious Diseases) in Singapore, China. 89.5% of patients were of Chinese ethnicity. Guan W.J et al. (NEJM) did a retrospective analysis of 1099 patients from 552 hospitals in China with confirmed Covid-19 infection. They collected clinical characteristics; blood laboratories included. Wang D., et al. (JAMA) did a single-center case series of 138 patients with NCIP in Wuhan, China, and collected clinical characteristics as well.
- Fan B., Chong V., Chan S., Lim G., Kian G., Lim E., Tan G. (March 04, 2020). Hematologic parameters in patients with COVID-19 infection. American Journal of Hematology (AJH).https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.25774
- Guan W.J., Ni Z.Y., Liang W.H., Ou C.Q., He J.X., Liu L., Shan H., Lei C.L., Hui D.S.C, Du B., Li L.J., et al. (February 28, 2020). Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China. The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM). https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032
- Wang D., Hu B., Hu C., et al. (February 7, 2020). Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients with 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA. 2020;323(11):1061–1069. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.1585. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044